Thursday, March 28, 2013

Failure Is Not An Option

Okay, to be fair, I did say this would be a blog about my successes and failures of dollmaking.  And it is true that not all dolls that I make turn out to be masterpieces.  So it is only fair to show photos of the ones that didn't make the cut.  The ones that will be ripped apart to start all over again.

My latest underachievement is the black witch.  Try as I might, I just couldn't make her sinister enough and she wasn't quite pretty enough to be saved for other reasons.  Think "Good Girl Gone Bad".  So, it is with a heavy heart that I show you these photos and begin the process of deconstructing her.


 
I'm thinking that my next attempt might not even be a cloth doll.  When I make these dolls I cut out their bodies from fabric, stuff them, wire them, needle sculpt them, make their clothes, embellish them, give them hair and paint them.  It's a lot of work and quite often I have no idea how a doll will turn out till she's nearly finished.
 
I've gotten interested in clay dolls lately and I think that might be the route I'll take.  At least with clay you can see how you are progressing and make changes along the way.  Maybe I should take a class first.  I'm forever starting something I have no business doing because I don't know the first thing about it.  But, hey.  That's how I started out with the dolls.  I think I'm coming along nicely even though I know I have a long way to go. 
 
Until the next time I want to wish everyone a Happy Easter.  Have a great weekend.

Listening to Mumford and Sons, Lumineers, Stealers Wheel, Sam Cooke, Curtis Mayfield, Heart, John Lennon.

No comments:

Post a Comment